The tasks of an HR manager are varied. From recruitment and onboarding to wellbeing and building a talent development strategy in the company. HR Management has been replaced by the concept of People Management, or human capital management. Accordingly, the role of HR is expanding. However, in addition to strategic importance, there is a pool of tasks that form a routine, such as keeping records of working hours, which eats up the lion’s share of HR specialists’ time. If an HR manager spends most of their time on manual and routine work, then what is their role in talent management?
Additional challenges for HR are relocation and remote work, that is, extended geography of the cities around the world where employees work.
Digital workplace is no longer a new concept. It has been popular since the advent of COVID-19, when almost everyone had to work from home. And while today the European market is already worried about how to get people back to the office, the Digital workplace remains relevant. After all, the Digital workplace significantly changes the role of the HR function, increasing its effectiveness.
Overall, the concept of a digital workplace implies not only the ability to continue working outside the office, but also the ability of the working environment to adapt to the tasks and needs of the employee, and thus relieve the burden on the HR team.
One of the types of Digital workplace is a corporate portal, that is, the single digital workplace for all company employees.
SmartPoint Intranet corporate portal to optimize the work of HR
SmartPoint Intranet is a virtual employee collaboration environment developed using Microsoft technologies. That is, there’s no need to worry about the security of data storage on the portal, as the solution meets international standards. It is based on Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Azure.
All work processes take place in a single space. The head of any department can log into the portal and track the dynamics of the tasks of his or her subordinates, view files with the work done and make comments in real time, share instructions for several projects at the same time, manage access to documents or workgroups even from the phone.
Of course, different areas of business have their own needs, but what many of them have in common is the need for quick access to working documents, the ability to control tasks and manage the productivity of their teams.
The good news for HR professionals is that some of the internal communication processes that they spend a lot of time on can take place completely without their involvement.
For example, such tools of the SmartPoint Intranet corporate portal as Personal Account and Personal Services make it possible for employees to:
- quickly find contacts of colleagues and necessary information in the Knowledge Base,
- get acquainted with the corporate culture at the stage of onboarding,
- have access to pay slips and vacation information,
- submit absence requests,
- create requests in the corporate services catalog, including to get access to certain services.
It makes life a lot easier for HR managers, doesn’t it?
What helps minimize HR involvement?
Organizational issues and communication
The employee’s personal account on the corporate portal includes a set of services and options to quickly find information related to a particular employee. This is information about payments, vacation balance, as well as other work-related information stored in the Knowledge Base.
In the Knowledge Base section, you can collect links to all materials, documents and instructions that employees needs in work. And now they no longer need to contact the HR specialist to get answers to their questions, because they know where to look for them.
The Knowledge Base can also be used as a tool for onboarding new employees – just add materials to the onboarding program for self-study.
Relevant for large companies: your employees physically cannot remember which department each of their colleagues belongs to, and even more so to whom they report. To this end, there is an Organizational Structure section that solves such a problem.
The organizational structure also solves another important issue, the one of internal communication. Everyone can email a colleague and see their availability with color-coded indicator cards synced with statuses in Microsoft Teams.
Increased employee productivity
An employee’s digital workplace should contain data on their productivity. One of the objectives of any HR solution is to increase employee efficiency.
To do this, SmartPoint Intranet personalizes employee experience of using the workplace.
Employees have access to:
- all their operational tasks,
- statuses of requests submitted by them,
- statuses of the tasks assigned to them.
Employees can independently:
- submit a day-off request,
- submit a request to the record management division or in the catalog of corporate services,
- request access to any company resources,
- leave feedback about the company and the work of colleagues.
The employee works in a team:
- promptly collaborates on files,
- tracks the history of changing documents by colleagues from other departments,
- grants access to colleagues from other departments.
Personal workspaces of individual departments provide permanent access to all documents, templates and instructions of the department.
Involvement in corporate life
Working on strengthening the HR brand is a strategic goal. And if HR managers are not busy with routine organizational issues, they have time to work effectively in this direction. Especially when the corporate portal provides tools for involving employees in the corporate life of the company.
What is corporate culture based on? Yes, it’s a combination of multiple factors. To work with an HR brand, we need:
- working environment to achieve the general company goals,
- constant interaction with the team, customers, partners and community,
- employee involvement.
All of this is ensured by a corporate portal. How?
- corporate feed for timely informing about company news,
- calendar of events for participation in corporate events,
- electronic corporate knowledge base to shape a single view of the company,
- media library: photo and video gallery to preserve corporate memories,
- elements of social networks to create effective communication that matches the daily experience of employees,
- robotization that relieves stress and improves employee experience.
HR should spend more time in business processes to provide the management with simple and effective tools, engage in strategic talent development within the company, take care of people and their experience from the moment they are interested in a job offer, throughout their life cycle in the company and beyond.